Does Raspian qualify

• Raspian
    • Does Raspian qualify

I tend not to use the R Pi for serious stuff, it has some major flaws for anything critical, but i have a couple of projects where it might be handy. Any objection if i Dump files and information on Raspbian here? It seems to be scattered all over the web.

Strictly speaking the info will be a mix of hardware, but predominately software as well. There are some tips and tricks that are hard to find, but in my view critical to using the PI for anything serious.
    • Pidora, ArchLinux (already has an area) and Raspian appear to be the 3 versions that the Raspberry Pi supports.... so sure, it would fit in here just fine for the two others.
      I've created labels for use in this area for Pidora and Raspian. If an article would fit better for it you can also do one in the General article area.
    • Tracy wrote:

Pidora, ArchLinux (already has an area) and Raspian appear to be the 3 versions that the Raspberry Pi supports.... so sure, it would fit in here just fine for the two others.
      I've created labels for use in this area for Pidora and Raspian. If an article would fit better for it you can also do one in the General article area.
      Ok thanks Tracy, my problem is quality info to do anything useful, is scattered everywhere on the net. Its a fairly important project so i wanted to 'dump' the info and links in one place. Then i can sort it and make an article of the project.

One topic came up before, regarding the SD wear issue. The PI kills SD cards pretty quick unless you buy expensive ones, one way around it is to use a USB stick for everything but the PI base files.

But from what i read its a PITA to set it up like that, so that kind of info I wanted to post in one place.I normally wouldnt consider the pi for this kind of thing, its more a toy than anything. But in this particular project I am not allowed to use my board of choice :(.
    • Tracy i work it what to some seems a slightly odd way, i stash files and flesh ideas out in threads, then i normally write an article as the thread develops, if you think an article may be of use to the site, i am more than happy to turn the thread into one.

First i need to do my odd idea and file dump in a thread lol.
    • having used the pi a few times for simple things, this is the first more serious project i have used it for. I normally used one of the Dev kits by silicon labs for IOT stuff.

I got to be honest, after spending half the day reading books on the PI and web sites, considering its 3rd/4th generation now, its little more than a toy.

The linux seems ok, but the hardware side is a joke, maybe ok if you want a kind of poor mp3 player, or slowish media centre. But its just not upto par for serious IOT stuff.

Irritating as this is a private job i am doing for someone, they insist i use the PI as the base. Oh well i get to swap using C/C++ to python (very rusty on python).

To get a half decent system with the pi, costs alot of money, a good wear levelling SD card cost nearly as much as the PI itself, then you need more $ for the power supply to do anything serious. Cost wise the figures dont stack up, but the customer wants the PI......... Irony being being i could use a Sil Labs gecko board and do the job faster,better and more efficiently for 70% less money!
    • I had hoped to start posting up progress on this today, but i have had 2 SD cards fail! Both new and good quality, when i get a chance i will stick the PI on the Oscilloscope and see whats going on.

Reading up on Raspbian it looks like a nice distro for what it does. Seems fairly light weight which is essential for the PI.