subdomains on shared hosting

• cPanel
  • subdomains on shared hosting

I thought i would ask you this, seeing as your my server font of all knowledge! lol

I have a shared hosting package from namecheap. It is allowed upto 50 ADDON domains and unlimited sub domains.

Now not using real names, just example ones.......

Lets assume when i got the hosting i registered a TLD called flowers.com

So my main www folder on the server is Flowers.com.

Now lets assume i go into Cpanel and do a add on domain and point another tld to it. So dog.com

In my wwwfolder tree structure i see a folder called dog.com

If i install a forum in the dog.com folder under a subdirectory called forum, i reach it from browser by the address dog.com/forum

All that i get and understand, but what i want is to add a subdomain to a addon domain, so using the above example what i want is, the following address to point to the forum

forum.dog.com how do i go about setting this up so that when i type forum.dog.com the browser goes to and shows in the address bar forum.dog.com?

All i can get at the moment is forum.dog.com to point to www,dog.com/forum Because i cant see or seem to create a folder called forum.dog.com inside the main www folder of the server.

I am assuming i need to do an extra step like maybe have to mess with DNS?

Anyway you can guide me through this or point to a decent tutorial for it? I have read a few but they are mainly for the main TLD and not an addon domain with a tld folder inside the main www root folder.

Sorry if i made that sound utterly confusing?
  • I'm going to assume you are using cPanel?
    When you create a new sub-domain, it should already set it up under your WWW folder. It's one of the things that I do NOT like about cPanel. I'd rather have all my vhosts in a directory I define.
    And yes, normally you have to also make a DNS entry for any of your sub-domains. It's been a long time since I've messed with cPanel (I really hate it personally).
    Honestly, you will probably get more feedback from over at TAZ on this as many of them use shared hosting that has cPanel.
  • I created a folder myself inside the root public www folder. i called it forum.dog.com (example name)

I set up a subdomain called forum.dog.com and pointed it to the directory i created.

So i now have 2 directory's inside the main public root called with dog.com in them, one is forum.dog.com and the other is the directory cpanel created when i added the dog.com add on domain

I installed a forum but it dosnt show, i get a server not found error, is it likely its just a time thing? do i need to wait for it to propagate before i can reach it?
  • the problem however, is many things take a little patience. If you add up all the little things and therefore the total amount of patience required over all, you get a shed of patience required.

While i have a little patience, it is just that, a little amount, and nowhere close to the amount needed in any, one given day!! lol

I agree with the Vulture :D