OVH dedicated D-1520/1540 server line

• OVH dedicated D-1520/1540 server line

Just a heads up to anyone that is thinking of using OVH supplied server and wants to use the default kernel. The D-1520/40 line (HOST line) uses a newer ethernet card that is not supported in the current stable CentOS version kernel(s)... and may not be in others.
      You MUST use the custom compiled (by OVH) kernels to work with CentOS to get the ethernet card to work. The info on the ethernet card is below

Source Code

1. 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X552/X557-AT 10GBASE-T
      2. 03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X552/X557-AT 10GBASE-T
      You will need at least CentOS kernel 4.2 for it to work, and that's not a stable shipping environment.
      You could go through the hassle of compiling the kernel yourself, but many consider that more work that it's worth now.

So, if your kernel does not natively support the Intel X552/557 card, you will be told by the setup that it won't work - after you start to burn it.
      Be sure to check if your selected OS for an install natively supports this card and before you select the server you want. I ended up moving over to the SP line of servers (their enterprise ones) and all worked just fine with the stock kernel.

I believe Ubuntu 15.10 line is shipping with native drivers for it, and as I find additional Linux OS's that do I'll update the thread.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tracy ().