Keyboard not working on fedora 18 machine after normal yum update

• Hello friends,

I did a normal update using yum update, the system was updated, however I'm not able to use the keyboard on my system after rebooting after the update. The mouse works fine. I'm able to use the keyboard at runlevel 3, also I'm able to use the keyboard at grub during booting. As soon as the machine boots the keyboard stops functioning (I'm not able to log in using keyboard but onscreen keyboard is working fine). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Reinstalling fedora is not an option please do not suggest that. Thank you.

Sent from my Q700 using Tapatalk
    • Hello friends,I did a normal update using yum update, the system was updated, however I'm not able to use the keyboard on my system after rebooting after the update. The mouse works fine. I'm able to use the keyboard at runlevel 3, also I'm able to use the keyboard at grub during booting. As soon as the machine boots the keyboard stops functioning (I'm not able to log in using keyboard but onscreen keyboard is working fine). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Reinstalling fedora is not an option please do not suggest that. Thank you.

KDE, Gnome, or what window manager? Any errors posted in the /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages?

There is a bugtracker from August 04 in reference to Logitech wireless keyboard stopping working at Bug 60507 – Logitech Unified Receiver support broken, mouse won't work

When you run lsusb what returns? Is it only on the GUI that the keyboard doesn't work? Can you do a CTL ALT F2 and get a window?

One suggestion I found was to (in a terminal window) issue sudo system-config-keyboard and select your language. This was with Fedora 17. Some people had good luck with it and others did not.
    • I'm using genome.

Yes there are differences in the log on 6 DEC from the logs of previous two days. One recurring "error" is : localhost audispd: queue is full - dropping event.

No I'm not able to do CTL+ALT+F2 after the booting completes and I'm at the login screen. I can, however, use my keyboard in the text mode, entered through grub on boot loading.

I couldn't make out much from the syslog, as I'm new to linux is there anything that I should be looking for? Thanks

• I'm using genome.Yes there are differences in the log on 6 DEC from the logs of previous two days. One recurring "error" is : localhost audispd: queue is full - dropping event.

No I'm not able to do CTL+ALT+F2 after the booting completes and I'm at the login screen. I can, however, use my keyboard in the text mode, entered through grub on boot loading.

I couldn't make out much from the syslog, as I'm new to linux is there anything that I should be looking for? Thanks

The results of lsusb are

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c45:6400 microdia

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

• So far, some basic research is indicating it is a problem with Gnome 3 crashing. Since they went to Gnome 3 I'm leaning towards using KDE more myself now. It seems to be a little more stable.

When you did the update, did the kernels also get updated? If not, try updating to the latest kernels for Fedora (I don't really use Fedora anymore). When I get a chance I'll grab one of my spare PC's and install the latest Fedora on it and see if I am having problems with it... but it won't replicate your environment since you did an update from an existing version.
    • May have found something that will help. Found it at Mouse and keyboard not working after upgrade to F18 from F17 - Ask Fedora: Community Knowledge Base and Support Forum

They recommend doing a cleanup after the upgrade.

Here is the entire fedorasolved.org instructions:

Distribution upgrades and cleaning up after them.

by D. Johnson — last modified Dec 02, 2012 11:45 PM

— filed under: Post-Install Solutions

This page shows how to clean up after a distribution upgrade.

Applicable to Fedora Versions

• All Fedora versions

Requirements

Explanation of requirements.

[*]Make a proper backup of your system before making any major changes.
      [*]Before you begin, please insure that you have current software: su -c "yum update"
      [*]Please read the common bugs link: Common F16 bugs - FedoraProject -or- Common F15 bugs - FedoraProject as appropriate.
      [*]Please read How to use PreUpgrade - FedoraProject if you use Preupgrade
      [*]Please read Upgrading Fedora using yum - FedoraProject if you are planning on using this method.
      [/list]

Doing the Work

Basic description of what will be done and what is expected.

[*]Change runlevel to 3 / multiuser (Not graphical. See: http://fedoraunity.org/solved/post-install-solutions/runlevel/ and SysVinit to Systemd Cheatsheet - FedoraProject ) (Use the grub method) and login as root. You can use "cnetworkmanager" or "nmcli" if you need to get networking started without the GUI. Do not launch the GUI. This step is critically important. Do not deviate.
      [*]Update your system: (Some warnings at this stage are normal. They should be resolved normally a bit later on.)
      # rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00?;
      # yum clean all;
      # yum-complete-transaction;
      # yum update --skip-broken;
      # rpm -a --setugids; rpm -a --setperms;
      If your installed version is higher than Fedora14 or RHEL6, this will reset capabilities:
      # rpm -Va > /tmp/rpm-Va0.txt 2>&1;
      # awk '/[b]^.{8}P [/b]/{print$NF}' /tmp/rpm-Va0.txt \
      |xargs rpm --filecaps -qf \
      |grep '= cap' \
      |while read fileName eq fileCaps; do
      setcap "${fileCaps}" "${fileName}"
      done
      # yum install @core @base;
      [*](Optional) Remove old packages from cache directories
      # DIST=$(rpm --eval '%{dist}'); find /var/cache/yum/ -type f -name \*.rpm |grep -v $DIST |xargs rm -f;
      If you have yum-plugin-local installed, you will want to free up spaced it used:
      # DIST=$(rpm --eval '%{dist}'); find /var/lib/yum/plugins/local/ -type f -name \*.rpm |grep -v $DIST |xargs rm -f;
      [*](Optional) Install basic components you would have from a new install: You likely want to include the desktop of your choice as well, such as @gnome-desktop or @kde-desktop or @xfce-desktop or @lxde-desktop
      # yum install @base-x @base @core @fonts @input-methods @admin-tools @dial-up @hardware-support @printing fpaste memtest86+ @gnome-desktop;
      [*]Correct labels and reboot: (This command takes about 11 minutes to run on my hardware. Yours may be quicker or slower. Give it time to complete.)
      # fixfiles -R -a restore; restorecon -Rv /home/*/.local/; reboot;
      The above command only does the files yum/rpm installed. If you would rather relabel all files on the system, use this instead: (Note: It may take longer on reboot)
      # fixfiles onboot; reboot;
      [*]Newer versions of yum include this command. If your version does not yet support it, skip this step: (yum-3.2.28-1 is known to work)
      # yum distribution-synchronization --disablepresto;
      [*]Login again with runlevel 3 and as root. Install yum-utils and print out a list of all the packages that need review: (This will print out packages that have dependency problems as well as packages that are no longer found in your configured repos and any duplicate packages you might have.)
      # rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest;
      # yum install yum-utils;
      # package-cleanup --problems;
      # package-cleanup --orphans;
      # package-cleanup --dupes;
      (optionally locate packages you may not need any longer)
      # package-cleanup --leaves;
      [*]In most cases, you should remove the versions listed above and install the current distribution version of the package instead if you still use it.
      [*]Create a list of all the files that have verify concerns:
      # . /etc/sysconfig/prelink && /usr/sbin/prelink -av $PRELINK_OPTS >> /var/log/prelink/prelink.log 2>&1;
      # /sbin/ldconfig;
      # rpm -Va > /tmp/rpm-Va.txt 2>&1;
      [*]Using the above, create a list of non-configuration files that need review:
      # egrep -v '^.{9} c /' /tmp/rpm-Va.txt > /tmp/URGENT-REVIEW.txt;
      [*]Using the above, create a list of configuration files that need review:
      # egrep '^.{9} c /' /tmp/rpm-Va.txt > /tmp/REVIEW-CONFIGS.txt;
      [*]Review the lists above. Consult "man rpm" under the VERIFY section for the meaning of the first column. You can usually ignore lines if they have a "prelink: /usr/bin/somefile: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking" type message next to it.
      [*]Locate your changed config files and manually merge the changes (If you have yum-plugin-merge-conf installed, you can use it here to assist as well):
      [*]# yum install rpmconf; rpmconf -a;
      [*]# [b]find /etc /var -name '*.rpm?*' > /tmp/REVIEW-OBSOLETE-CONFIGS.txt;[/b]
      [/list]

[b]Troubleshooting[/b]

How to test

Explanation troubleshooting basics and expectations.

[*]Recreate an initrd image for F12+:
      [*]# [b]dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r);[/b]
      [*]Restore the MBR:
      [*]# [b]grub-install;[/b]
      [*]Xorg refuses to start. This happens typically if you had an old version, or if you had nvidia.ko / fglrx.ko / catalyst.ko drivers. Move the xorg.conf out of the way and regenerate a new one.
      [*]# [b]mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /root/xorg.conf.save[/b]
      [/list]

[b]Common problems and fixes[/b]

• Go back and read the release notes, common bugs link and upgrade path notes:
        Release Notes
        Installation Guide
        Common bugs - FedoraProject

• Have an issue not covered here? See Red Hat Bugzilla Main Page

[b]More Information[/b]

Always have a clean backup before you begin any major work on your distribution.

[*]The absolute best method to upgrade is to backup, and format clean with a fresh install.
      [*]Second best, DVD media - can be on a real DVD or on USB.
      [*]Third best, Preupgrade.
      [*]Last resort option, for experienced users only, yum upgrade.
      [*]You cannot use the Livecd media to perform upgrades.
      [/list]

[b]Disclaimer[/b]

We test this stuff on our own machines, really we do. But you may run into problems, if you do, come to #fedora on irc.freenode.net
    • Thanks Tracy for your time and effort, although I've tried the above procedure I'll try it again. Previously when I ran the above steps the first command, (rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.002?/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20"> failed stating (no such file or directory). But then I guess this procedure is related to distribution upgrade and not to the package updates even though the kernel got upgraded. I don't know. I'll try it again anyway. Thanks again for your effort and sorry for the genome-Gnome mishap /emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">

• Thanks Tracy for your time and effort, although I've tried the above procedure I'll try it again. Previously when I ran the above steps the first command, (rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.002?/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20"> failed stating (no such file or directory). But then I guess this procedure is related to distribution upgrade and not to the package updates even though the kernel got upgraded. I don't know. I'll try it again anyway. Thanks again for your effort and sorry for the genome-Gnome mishap /emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">Sent from my Q700 using Tapatalk

no problem... I'll keep looking and later tonight or tomorrow I will install an older version of Fedora and try the upgrade and see what it does.

To confirm

You upgraded Fedora 17 to 18 using the yum update procedure

You have a USB keyboard and mouse

You are using Gnome 3 for the shell

Have you tried changing the WM to KDE to see if it works under it?
    • Hey Tracy /emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20"> the keyboard is working now (yayy!) /emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" width="19" height="19"> thanks for your effort and time /emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20"> I simply downgraded two packages xdg-utils and xorg-x11-drv-evdev. After your suggestion that this is related to Gnome I figured out it has to do with xorg /emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20"> thanks for your suggestions /emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20"> let me know if you get another solution to this on my email, **** removed by Site Owner **** /emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20"> thanks again /emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">

• Great! Everything I had read indicated it was a Gnome/X11 problem with some of the latest updates. That was one reason I asked about trying KDE and seeing if it worked. Also I removed your email address from that post as placing them in forums can tend to end up with them being scraped by bots.

Be sure to refer your friends here... we need all the Linux input (and even questions) we can get to increase the content.
    • Sure /emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20"> thanks againWhat is the address of the site? Googling servinglinux throws up lot of results, unrelated.

Now Serving Linux (servinglinux.com) or Now Serving Linux (nowservinglinux.com) - either one will get you there.